Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Phenson made me a broom!

Otherwise known as a Besom. A tool used to clean the area metaphysically before casting a circle. Actually, I'll paste from the Wiki on it, I think it can probably explain it a bit more clearly.

In Wicca

besom is one of the tools used in Wicca. A traditional Wiccan besom is an ash stave handle with bristles made from birch twigs. These twigs are tied on using thin pieces of willowwood. It is used to cleanse the ritual area before circle casting.
As a tool, the besom is usually thought of as masculine in nature due to its phallic shape and symbolism. However the besom's components are of both masculine and feminine orientation. The handle, an ash stave, is masculine in nature while the birch used for the bristles is thought of as feminine in nature. The besom is thought to be involved with fairies.
The besom is an important part of Wiccan handfasting ceremonies in some traditions. The couple jumps over the besom during the ceremony. Alternatively, the couple may jump over a small bonfire.

I  highlighted the area that most pertains to my use of the broom or besom. It never actually sweeps the floor, it cleanses the area of any "bad energy" before casting a circle.

At any rate, here's a photo of my new tool! I get so excited with each new tool, I feel that much closer to everything Pagan. It helps it feel like more than just a title.

My besom or broom.

No comments:

Post a Comment